Regardless of how careful you are, dogs escape from homes or run away while on outings. Here are some things you can do:
Before it happens
- Take pictures of your dog.
- Attach an ID tag to your dog's collar with your telephone number.
- Make sure your gate is securely closed at all times.
- Make sure your wall is too high for the dog to jump.
- NEVER open the gate while the dog is loose in the yard.
- Bring your dog inside or put it in a secure place during stormy weather or fireworks.
After it happens
- Look for him within the neighbourhood, but outside of it too – dogs can go a long way in a short time.
- Print posters with your dog's picture and distribute in the area (on lamp posts, in business places, etc.)
- Post the dog's picture and the circumstances on all the animal welfare sites on social media.
- Contact the TTSPCA and give them a copy of the poster – make sure it has your number on it.
- Consider offering a reward.
- Contact all your friends and family and ask them to spread the word.
- If it is a large breed, or one the public may be afraid of, alert the police and ask them to call you if he is seen.